Sunday, October 24, 2010

Foreigners in America. Episode 108

Saturday 23 October 2010 2PM
We've pulled over at some Picnic Area, an hour outside of Austin Texas.

In a few hours we'll be playing La Zona Rosa, an (apparently very nice) venue in the hometown of a large chunk of my favorite bands of the past 20 years. The list of bands I love that have come out of this Texan city is pretty long with Trail of Dead and Explosions in The Sky at the top of the list. What's more, the city spawned Richard Linklater, one of my ten favourite living film directors. Needless to say I'm dead excited about playing Austin tonight.

It'll be show number 10 for me on this tour. With four dates left after Austin, we're well passed the halfway point in our adventure through America.

Honestly, sitting out on my own in this picnic area while rest of the team are asleep in our RV, this is the first chance I've really had to think about the thousands of miles I've been through in the past day and two weeks.

I really don't even know how I'm going to be able to retrace our steps and write about what happened where and when. Honestly it already feels like a blur of stages and diners. Sound-checks, back-stages, petrol-stations, Los Camp Songs and so many hours in the Canadream.
Maybe I should start with that;

We're doing this tour in a Winabego. It's pretty practical, sleeps all seven of us and has plenty of room for our gear. What's unusually about the particular RV we're touring in, is that (having been rented in Toronto at the start of this tour) it says "Canadream" all over it.
Being in the Canadream for two weeks, it's felt quite a bit like living in a submarine. That said, I should point out that we all love our submarine very much.
I first set eyes on our sub in Philly. This was about 6 hours after I was dropped off by a taxi, cold, confused and alone in the streets of Philladelphia.
The night before Jun had phoned me at around midnight. "Ben! We can't meet up with you in New York. Get to The Sprinkle Kingdom in Philladelphia- we've added a surprise show there!".


Finding information on this "Sprinkle Kingdom" was pretty tricky, but a couple minutes with Google on the bus from New York to Philladelphia later and I had an street name and number. And, with what little info exsisted about this place, I'd discovered Anamanguchi had played the venue recently. Knowing the 8 Bit super heroes had played the venue a few weeks earlier, I was pretty excited to play this mythical venue. Understandably, after getting dropped off by a taxi and been greated with this...
...I was pretty confused.

No comments: